Saturday, March 21, 2009

Real Rugby Practice :)


I had one small task...to get a picture of the new OPD with a clean floor. Simple yes? One would think. Jon, the man in charge of cleaning the hospital was instructed early that day to clean the ward. When I showed up it was dirty. I asked him to clean it and if he understood what I was saying... bc sometimes I wonder if people just say yes to everything I ask and they really have no clue what they said yes to :). I know I definitely have no clue what I am saying half the time either lol. But I thought we were clear so I went away and came back 45minutes later and the ward was still dirty and Jon was nowhere to be found. I looked for him and said Jon...What happened? We conversed in Pinglish (half English half Pidgin) and I said, "Jon I will be back in 30 minutes please have this done." Well, the point of this story is not that cool... but it's where the pics came in. I had to find something to do for 30 minutes and I happened to look over and see a group of people doing sprints about two football fields away. So I walked down to the security gate and asked a security guard if he would go with me to watch (women aren't allowed off station without a man). When I got down there I found out that they were an actual real rugby team! I was happy. An organized sport...it made my day. So I snapped some pics and hung out on the sidelines while they scrimmaged and talked to the coaches and other players. It's a different concept to be able to interrupt a practice and not get yelled at. They just laughed and asked a bunch of questions. They then proceeded to tell me that Dan had played with them one day and I guess the crowd loved him and when he got out there people from the crowd started chasing after him on the field?! lol! I figured he deserved to make the team pics.
And now back to Jon the cleaning man. I went back to the ward and guess what? He wasn't even half done. I insisted that I do it and he would not let me. I wanted to scream :). errrrr. So I waited and watched him slowly but surely sweep and mop the whole ward at a snails pace! The men in this culture are not what I expected. I thought they would be these super hard working rugged men. There rugged alright, but the women do all the work around here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment